Tell Us Once is part of the Department of Work and Pensions and is a service that enables you to report a death to most government organisations in one go.

Please be aware that a death certificate is required and the death must be registered prior to contact the service. In cases of unexpected, unexplained or deaths in suspicious circumstances there may an inquest, which will delay this process.

A registrar will explain the Tell Us Once service when you register the death. The service will notify all Government departments on your behalf and easily cancel official documents including

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - anything to do with personal tax and benefits such as child benefit. You will need to contact the HMRC business department to deal with business taxes, like VAT.
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - anything related to benefits and entitlements, for example Universal Credit or State Pension
  • Passport Office 
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - you must contact DVLA separately if you either intend to sell the vehicle or keep it and tax it in your own name
  • The Local Authority - anything to do with Housing Benefit, Council Tax, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services if the deceased was a tenant and removing the person from the electoral register
  • Veterans UK - re Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments
  • Social Security Scotland - anything related to benefits and entitlements from the Scottish Government, for example Scottish Child Payment

Tell Us Once will also contact some public sector pension schemes so that they cancel future pension payments. They’ll notify:

  • My Civil Service Pension
  • NHS Pensions for NHS staff in England and Wales
  • Armed Forces Pension Scheme
  • Scottish Public Pension Agency schemes for NHS staff, teachers, police and firefighters in Scotland
  • Local Government Pension Schemes (LGPS)