Benefits for you if you are a partner or child of the deceased

Depending on which of your loved ones has died your tax allowances, National Insurance and benefits may change.

You may need to make new claims for any benefits that your loved one was claiming for your family e.g. Universal Credit/Tax Credits and child benefit.

You may be able to claim other benefits: -


Who to notify if the deceased was receiving benefits

If you use the 'Tell us Once' service you will not need to notify the Department of Work and Pensions of the death of your loved one yourself as the Tell Us Once service will do this for you. However, there will be a few matters that you do need to deal with;


Benefits are very complex to deal with at the best of times. Please do seek help from the Government's website in the first instance as this will steer you in the right direction. Alternatively, visit your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.