If your loved one dies abroad there are a whole set of considerations to take into account. However, there are people to help you and you should seek their advice if you find yourself in this situation.

If you are with your loved one when they die abroad

Contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulates They will be able to offer advice and help you with arrangements. If you are on a package holiday, tour operators or reps should be able to put you in touch with the right authorities.

If you are at home in the UK when a loved one dies abroad

Contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to seek help and advice. FCO bereavement packs provide comprehensive information on legal processes and services available after a death in any country in the world.

Death caused by natural disaster, an accident, serious crime or terrorism or sudden causes

The Lucie Blackman Trust (LBT Global) is a British charity that assists families when a relative dies abroad in sudden o tragic circumstances or goes missing.

An unexpected death, whether through the acts of another in murder, manslaughter, even terrorism, through natural disaster such as an earthquake or freak weather incident, through sudden illness, a tragic accident, a death on the roads or even suicide can have a long and profound effect of those left behind.

The process of dealing with affairs and coping with the loss at home is hard enough, but when the death occurs overseas there are a whole lot of new concerns and considerations.

Practical matters, such as whether to have the body brought home for burial, can be fraught with underlying concerns such as whether the police in the country will allow the release of the body.

 LBT Global have many years of experience in helping families in these situations, and unique knowledge gained from years of professional service helping victims and their families 

They have been providing a revolutionary level of care to families of British murder or manslaughter victims since 2008 and can offer advice, logistical support, repatriation assistance, problem solving, fundraising support and much more to victims of any serious crime overseas. See our listing HERE to read more about how to contact and get help from LBT Global.

Registering the death

You must register the death in the country where your loved one died. The British Consul can help you do this.

You will then need to register the death with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as well.

When you register a death, you will need to provide personal information for yourself (to prove who you are) and your loved one, including passport number, date of issue and place of issue.

Repatriation - Bringing the body home

To bring the body home you must have: -

  • a certified English translation of the death certificate – without a translated document your loved one cannot be buried or cremated in the UK
  • Permission from the coroner (or equivalent)
  • Inform a coroner in UK if the death was violent or unnatural

Seek advice from the British Embassy, High commission or Consulate about re-patrition. 



The government provides A STEP BY STEP GUIDE on what to do if your loved one dies abroad. 

Click here to download