If your loved one dies abroad there are a whole set of considerations to take into account. However, there are people to help you and you should seek their advice if you find yourself in this situation.

If you are with your loved one when they die abroad

Contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulates They will be able to offer advice and help you with arrangements. If you are on a package holiday, tour operators or reps should be able to put you in touch with the right authorities.

If you are at home in the UK when a loved one dies abroad

Contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to seek help and advice. FCO bereavement packs provide comprehensive information on legal processes and services available after a death in any country in the world.

Register the death

You must register the death in the country where your loved one died. The British Consul can help you do this.

You will then need to register the death with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as well.

When you register a death, you will need to provide personal information for yourself (to prove who you are) and your loved one, including passport number, date of issue and place of issue.

Repatriation - Bringing the body home

To bring the body home you must have: -

  • a certified English translation of the death certificate – without a translated document your loved one cannot be buried or cremated in the UK
  • Permission from the coroner (or equivalent)
  • Inform a coroner in UK if the death was violent or unnatural

Seek advice from the British Embassy, High commission or Consulate about re-patrition. 



The government provides A STEP BY STEP GUIDE on what to do if your loved one dies abroad. 

Click here to download